Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas


Bob Dylan gave an interview to the Big Issue about his Christmas album, a few weeks ago.

It's one of his most informative interviews of recent years, which isn't saying much.

Big Issue: Is recording a Christmas album something you’ve had on your mind for a while?
Bob Dylan: Yeah, every so often it has crossed my mind. The idea was first brought to me by Walter Yetnikoff, back when he was President of Columbia Records.

Did you take him seriously?
Well, sure I took him seriously.

Your family was Jewish – as a kid did you ever feel left out of the Christmas excitement?
No, not at all.

How do you like to spend the week between Christmas and New Years?
Doing nothing – maybe reflecting on things.

‘Christmas Blues’ is an old Dean Martin song. What attracted you to that?
It’s just a beautiful song.

‘Must Be Santa’ is a real jumping polka. Did you hear a lot of polka bands growing up?
Yeah, I heard a few.

Have you heard Christmas on Death Row, the rap Christmas record?
No, I don’t think so.

Do you listen to rap music?
I don’t listen to rap radio stations and I don’t play rap songs on the jukebox, and I don’t go to rap shows. So no, I guess I don’t listen to rap music all that much.

Read the rest here.


No comments: